High Mountain Weddings

Don’t Forget to Make the Name Change Official

You’ve agreed to wed and to take his last name, but even after the vows have been exchanged, it will be necessary to go through the formal process of changing your name.  This is the only way to ensure that you can have your new married name on all of your formal documents.  Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be an overly difficult procedure to have those papers filed, but there are several steps to take before you can truly be Mr. and Mrs.

Once the marriage license has been signed, you can obtain an official copy of it.  This is necessary for the rest of the steps in the process.  To get the copy of the marriage license you may have to call- or visit the clerk’s office in your city or town.  In many cases, that will be automatically mailed to you though.

The next step in the process is to have your name change made official with the Department of Social Security.  This will result in you being issued a new social security card.  It should be noted here that this does not result in a new number, just a change of name.  This request must be filed with the Social Security Administration office nearest you.  This will require an official copy of your marriage license.

Once you have received your new Social Security card, your name change is official.  However, you will have to take several more steps to have it acknowledged elsewhere.  These are a few of the places that you will have to contact:

  1. Banks
  2. DMV
  3. Employer Human Resources
  4. Post Office
  5. Utility Providers
  6. Schools Attended (if applicable)
  7. Landlord or Mortgage Holders
  8. Doctors’ Offices
  9. Voter Registration

It will likely take time for you to stop seeing your maiden name on various documentation.  But as the calls are made, you will slowly but surely begin to be associated with your husband’s given name.

Google Rating