9 Questions to Ask Your Wedding Musician or DJ
After the vows have been exchanged, it’s time for the real party to begin. One of the biggest components of that party is in the music, which is why you need an experienced and high-quality professional in charge of the sound. Before settling on a musician or DJ, be sure to ask these 9 questions.
- Is the date available? This is absolutely the first question you need to ask. If the date’s not available, it’s time to contact the next on the list.
- How long have you been doing this? Whether it’s a solo violinist or a highly referred DJ, you need to know what kind of experience they have.
- How many weddings have you done? Weddings are different than other types of events, and your musician or DJ needs to be able to meet the unique needs of a wedding reception.
- Can they provide references? It never hurts to get the feedback of another couple, who can tell you exactly how their experience with the musician went down.
- How extensive is their music library? You’ll want to make sure that they can play the type of music you want, so be sure to ask. If you’ve got particular songs in mind already, ask about those too.
- Do they act as emcee? Many DJs will take on the role of emcee, introducing the bride and groom and making other announcements throughout the reception. Be sure to ask if this is an option.
- Is there a backup in case the musician or DJ is suddenly unable to perform? Make sure there is a Plan B in case the unthinkable happens and your musician is suddenly unable to make it to the venue or their equipment fails.
- What is included in the cost? Once they’ve shared the fees for their service, ask what is included with it. Is it all-inclusive or are there fees that may pop up later on?
- What is the their refund or cancellation policy? Sometimes things happen where you have to renege on a contract. If this occurs, find out if you’re going to be subject to a fee.